Alya: YOU CAN'T FORBID ME FROM DOING THAT! I LOVE HI--
And that was the first time I slapped my own daughter. She left me no choice but to do that. I mean, how can a 17 year old girl know anything about love?
We stood there, speechless & before I could say anything, Alya started walking back to her room. I wanted to apologize for slapping her, but at the same time, I thought she deserved it. Yes, you heard me. She deserved it! I mean, why would she do such a thing? Yes, she's 17, too young for love, but not too young to think straight. Am I supposed to tell her father? Does he have to know? Or am I supposed to keep quiet, and just hope it never happens again?
Should I wake him up? Or wait until the next day, after lunch? Wouldn't he get furious at me for not telling him sooner? But wait, what am I supposed to tell him exactly? That his only daughter, whom he trusts and loves more than anything in the world went out with a boy last night? Just like that?
Should I mention the time she arrived home? Or would it be best to leave that part out? Probably leave that out.
I was still standing in the same spot where I had slapped my daughter. A lot of questions were running through my head and I was just unaware of what to do.
After I snapped back to reality, I slowly walked to the kitchen, poured me a glass of milk and just sat there thinking "Alya, what have you done?"
After 30 minutes exactly, I decided to go to my daughter's room and just have a quiet conversation with her, unlike the one we had earlier. As I headed to her room, I hoped she did not go to sleep already since it was around 1am.
*Knock Knock*
Alya: I'm asleep.
Me: Yes, you obviously are. May I come in?
Alya: I suppose.
I walked into her room and took a seat next to her in bed. I struggled with my words, but finally came up with something to say.
Me: You do know I'm going to have to tell your father about this, right?
Alya: No mom, please don't! Not dad! He won't ever trust me again!
Me: You can't blame him, now can you? I don't know how I'll ever be able to trust you again. You lied! & I can't not tell your father about this. What if he finds out about this guy? I can't lie if he asked me if I know anything about it. & you know how strict your father becomes when it's something that has to do with reputation! Especially your reputation! You're his only daughter.
Alya: But--Okay what about me studying abroad? He's going to refuse & it's my education we're talking about here!
Me: Okay, how about this. The only way you can stop me from telling your father is if you stop seeing that guy. Honey, you're 17! You're too young for all of this. He's going to break your heart some day, and I will be the one to help you wipe those tears away.
Alya: You don't know that! Mom, he actually loves me! & he promised he won't ever do me wrong.
Me: Okay, what if he doesn't break your heart, but things actually end badly?
Alya: Mom, you're thinking way ahead. He loves me now, and -- *Whispers* I love him. And that's all that matters. & how can things possibly end badly? I mean, you won't tell dad, will you?
Me: Honey, let me tell you a story about this friend I knew a while ago. After I'm done, I want you to think carefully about what you want. Because sweety, whatever you do today, bad or good, it's going to haunt you in the future. And I don't think you would want to have a future full of regrets, now would you?
Alya: Mom, come on. A story won't change anything plus, I'm too tired.
Me: Shush & hear me out. Okay, so Once Upon a Time--
Alya: Mom, seriously?
Me: Okay okay. It all started when ..
----
Stay tuned for part 2,
xoxo.
No comments:
Post a Comment